Saturday, November 22, 2025

Those Hands of Yours (for Aunt Pat)

I lay my head down and try to sleep, but today I got the news
The diagnosis isn't good and we could be losing you
I dream of days long ago when you took care of little me
And everybody was together and we lived so simply

There's one thing that I cannot get out of my mind tonight
It's picturing those hands of yours that care with all their might
Those hands of yours that took care of others when you were just a child
Those hands of yours facing the daily toil yet comforting and mild

You stenciled hearts onto a fridge so that a little girl could play
and you gave a hug when any of us were having a bad day
I watched those hands etch the wood, a burning smell was in the air
And when done you gave away your work to others to share

Over time, those hands of yours were swollen and in pain
The years of work and selfless giving was never done in vain
Those hands of yours left prints of love forever on all our hearts
Our large family with memories of which you will always be a part

No comments:

Post a Comment